Re: Q: why binary-log by systemd-journald is not enabled by default?

On Sat, May 09, 2015 at 10:41:17AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> The on-disk persistent journal (/var/log/journal) is disabled because at
> the moment, Debian systems use syslog by default (via rsyslog), and
> enabling the persistent journal would result in two copies of log
> messages.

I've enabled the on-disk persistent journal on some machines (while
still keeping syslog around) and I'm quite happy with the result [*].

However, upstream defaults in terms of disk usage are a bit too eager:
using up to 10% of filesystem space for /var/log/journal might be a lot.
And yes, I know about the SystemKeepFree safeguard, but the resulting
increase in disk space used by logs compared to syslog is still
significant (and it will spread to other places, e.g., backups). No
matter how journald will be integrated more tightly in Debian, can we
haz a saner default?

And while we are at it: is the persistent journal backup-safe? or does
the binary format get in the way, implying risks to backup incomplete /
corrupted log entries?

Cheers.

[*] FWIW, I've learned about the need of enabling persistent logging
    from Lucas' slides about systemd here
    http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=874 . I found that slide deck
    to be a very nice and compact primer about systemd administration,
    if you come from a sysvinit background
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .