Re: Packages to install be default for Stretch

I'd like to provide a data point.  On servers that I maintain, this is
the complete list of manually-installed packages, excluding packages
related to what the server actually _does_ -- that is, this, and
nothing else, are what I consider vital to have available on a generic
server that no one logs into except for maintenance.

This is a virtual machine guest configuration, running a completely
monolithic kernel provided from outside the image, hence the absence
of most hardware-configuration-related packages.  Note also that I
always turn off auto-installation of recommended packages, and that
this particular server was upgraded from wheezy to jessie in the most
straightforward fashion, which *didn't* install systemd, and I haven't
bothered changing it.

bind9-host (†)
bsd-mailx (†)
debsums
dnsutils (†)
iputils-ping
less
locales (*)
logcheck
logcheck-database
lsof
monit
needrestart
netcat-traditional (†)
nullmailer
nvi (‡)
openntpd
openssh-client
openssh-server
resolvconf
strace
udev (*)
ufw
unattended-upgrades
unbound
whois
wget

(*) - I don't understand why nothing depends on these.
(†) - I am confused by the number of overlapping packages that do this
job, and may not have picked the optimal ones.
(‡) - vim is insufficiently bug-compatible with Solaris 2.5 vi for my fingers.

Relative to the default install, the interesting bits, I think, are:

+ network and system diagnostic tools
+ unattended upgrade mechanism
+ monit (maybe systemd can replace this, but I'm not comfortable
enough with it yet)
+ openntpd
+ unbound
+ nullmailer
- all documentation
- at
- tasksel
- exim
- miscellaneous command-line tools that I can install if I ever need
them (e.g. bzip2, cpio)

The full package list (again, minus packages defining what the server
actually _does_) is attached.

zw