Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 12:29:03PM -0700, josh@joshtriplett.org wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 09:06:25PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 10:50:30AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > > Karsten Merker wrote:
> >
> > How is for example iptables supposed to handle changing interface
> > names?
>
> Associate the rules with addresses, names, or other aspects of network
> topology, rather than specific interfaces.

That is often very impractical - the logical way is often to have
interface-based rules instead of address-based rules.  This is
particularly the case with laptops where the network topology on
the "outside" interface changes very often and the only sensible way
to specify rules is using the interface as designator.

> And for servers or routers (the common case for iptables usage), ifnames
> should provide quite stable names.

Well, I think that running iptables on a laptop is also an
absolutely common case, in particular as laptops are often
running in "foreign" networks.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der