Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

Hi,

Karsten Merker:
> while this probably works resonably well for (semi-)fixed devices
> like onboard-NICs and PCI/PCIe cards, it results in a completely
> unsuitable behaviour with pluggable devices such as USB network
> adapters.

Why?

I can envision two likely scenarios for using a USB adapter.

(a) you need to test something, so you plug in a handy USB adapter and
configure it statically.

So you're root and mucking about in /etc anyway, so also adding a one-liner
to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules which names the adapter
statically should not be a problem.

(b) you're a client (e.g. you configure a new router), likely to use
NetworkManager to just run a dhcp client on the adapter or configure a
one-off RFC1918 address.

So what if the adapter gets a different name next time? Most likely you
need to configure a different device in a different '1918 subnet anyway.
Or, if you use DHCP, there's no difference either way. In all other
situations, quickly configuring a static address is no problem IMHO.

> Despite the problems of the MAC-based system that we use currently, the
> ifnames method appears way worse to me than what we have now.

On a server, a missed rename due to interfaces showing up in exactly the
wrong order makes the system unreachable. Frankly, I cannot imagine
anything "way worse" than that. Not in this context.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs