Re: Proposal: enable stateless persistant network interface names

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Marc Haber
>
> > That would mean changing local code to _both_ handle en* and eth*,
> > which is (a) a surprise and (b) unsatisfying in _my_ personal opinion.
>
> By en*, you mean emN, enN, pXpY all, right?

Or more generally anything that enumerates as a network device.  It's
entirely possible to ask "what kind of network device is this", so if
your local code is trying to find wired Ethernet devices, it should be
enumerating all devices and looking for those that are wired.

Remember way back in the day when some wireless devices showed up as
ethN too, and some things got confused when they became wlanN?

What's your local code trying to do?

- Josh Triplett