Re: Debian Archive architecture removals

[ with my m68k buildd maintainer and (ex-?) porter hat ]

Aurelien Jarno dixit:

>- debian-ports uses mini-dak instead of dak. It uses less resources and
>  brings some features that are useful for new architectures like
>  accepting binary uploads when it "improves" the version even if it is
>  not the latest one or an "unreleased" suite for packages built from
>  modified source (hence architecture specific). On the contrary its

There’s two more bugs that *really* disturb porters’ work in it:

• it is possible to do a binary upload of the *same* version of a pak‐
  kage that is currently in the archive, which breaks the package until
  the next bigger upload fixes it: mini-dak serves the checksums from
  one of the uploads but the .deb files from the other of the uploads
  (this can happen in case of human errors, or caused by a w-b hiccup,
  when a package was taken by someone (porter or buildd) and is in
  Building state, then vanishes from the DB, then comes back)

• (much worse) library transition old-version keeping is broken:

  suppose there is src:isl (= 0.12.2-2) building libisl10 in the
  archive and built on some architecture; then, someone uploads
  src:isl (= 0.14-2) which builds libisl13 instead; in dak (on the
  main archive), the old libisl10 binary packages are kept in the
  Packages.gz file until there is no dependency on it any more;
  mini-dak just throws all NBS binary packages away immediately

Oh, and the performance.

On the other hand, things like the existence of unreleased really
*do* help, so, a big thank-you to Aurélien for running d-ports❣

bye,
//mirabilos

PS: I’d be happy to discuss things (dpo experience) on debconf,
    if I manage to make some time for that in the days I’m there;
    can’t say beforehand, unfortunately
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt