Re: Experimental ddeb support in debhelper and lintian (Was: Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?)

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 11:46:42PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> […] ddeb support […]

+1. \o/

>    - apt now properly handles the "pkg:arch" dependency.

For different values of "properly" – apt isn't the only thing involved
here, you have to consider the reaction of dpkg and dose as well and
these 3 tools aren't agreeing on the interpretation of "pkg:arch" in
combination with M-A:foreign and various other things at the moment:
https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/multiarch-devel/2015-April/000099.html

(The initial problem, that you can install packages on single arch
system where arch == native-arch which is what debhelper is trying to
pull here was fixed, yes, but that doesn't mean that you will actually
get a package from the native-arch. -- If anyone wants to comment this,
don't do it here, do it in the thread I linked AFTER reading the thread.
There is enough complexity and text to fill an afternoon; no need to
send a comment in the lunch break with your smartphone…).

I would revert the revert as this is potentially causing more trouble
than the "problems" it is trying to solve (aka: I don't see why a debug
package has to depend on the package it provides symbols for at all. If
any the relation should be 'Enhances'…).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies