Re: debian github organization ?

Russell Stuart <russell-debian@stuart.id.au> writes:
> On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 23:13 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> However, I still stand by the decision to only support a single VCS, at
>> least when you start, because you can move a lot faster and implement a
>> lot more functionality that people care a great deal about.

> Woo, slow down there.  Here I was thinking the discussion was about
> spinning up a server using exist software.  Has the discussion moved to
> writing our own or even modifying something to suit Debian's needs?

No.  My comment was in the context of a comparison between Sourceforge and
GitHub, and I was just making the point that I think this was a wise
decision on GitHub's part.  It was also in the context of a couple of
other packages that are possible contenders for a revision control
management framework, both of which have made the same choice, also (IMO)
wisely.

> As for one DVCS to rule the world - that also sounds like a bit of a
> stretch.

While we're pondering whether dropping support for older VCSes is a bit of
a stretch, the broader software community is just shrugging and using
GitHub.  If the goal is to produce a viable free software alternative to
GitHub, supporting Subversion or bzr or Mercurial would be nowhere on my
list of requirements.

Obviously, supporting a choice of DVCSes would be great, all other things
being equal.  But given the resources available for a free software
project, all else is not going to be equal, and there are *lots* of other
features that are a much higher priority for more developers than making
the diminishing minority of people who don't use Git more comfortable.