Re: Minified javascripts in packages

Andreas Noteng <andreas@noteng.no> writes:

> I have experimented a bit with using the old
> (pre grunt) build system for jQuery, and it seems to be possible, but
> to spend hours doing this kind of build system reinvetion for every
> lib upstream uses seems a bit silly to me.

Reading the threads about JSHint's license situation, it seems that it
won't be too long before that is solved by obtaining a license via the
Eclipse project that avoids the silly (and non-free) license on JSLint.

In the mean time, would it be possible to produce a version of grunt
that doesn't include JSHint?  (that's probably a stupid idea, but I know
nothing about this code, so I don't know).

Anyway, to return to the original question, shipping objects that we
cannot build should not be permitted.  How can we provide security
support on that minified JS?  How can we provide any assurance that the
minified JS matches the source?

Also, if we were to permit this, it would remove pressure to fix the
silly license situation.

If it's only the minification that grunt is used for, how disastrous
would it be to use the original JS for now?  You could add something to
the README explaining about grunt's current non-free status, which has
resulted in the need to use the original JS for now.

Cheers, Phil.