New system group for Xastir AX.25 users

Hi,

I am working on the xastir package [1] which is maintained by the Debian
Hamradio Maintainers team. A wishlist bug has been filed on this package
(#185915 [2]) requesting the addition of a debconf option to have the binary
installed setuid to allow for access to the native AX.25 available in Linux.

According to Debian policy §10.9, the preferred method of doing this is
through the creation of a group, and users that are allowed to run the
binary setuid are a member of this group. I also intend to attempt to set
capabilities first, falling back to setuid if that option is not available.

The "capabilities first, fall back to setuid" approach is also used by the
wireshark and iputils packages.

The same policy section states that the new group name should be discussed
on debian-devel and with the base-passwd maintainer, and so this email
serves to start that discussion.

I propose the group name "xastir-ax25" for this purpose. This uses only
allowable characters and is 11 characters long (the maximum being 16), and
so is a valid group name. Are there any objections to this name being used?

Thanks,
Iain.

[1]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/xastir
[2]: http://bugs.debian.org/185915