Re: aptitude has Priority: standard, why?

[The Wanderer]
> it is IMO not viable for actual use - except perhaps by people who
> already know completely what they are doing and how to override
> aptitude's suggestions.

That sounds like you believe aptitude has only a command-line
interface.  Mostly I use its full-screen interface.  (To see this
interface, launch it with no arguments.)  What would you suggest as a
replacement for that?  dselect?  I did use dselect for many years, only
reluctantly switching to aptitude, but I have no desire to go back.

> Does aptitude include an equivalently functional analog for apt-cache?

Well, the things I use most - the 'show' and 'search' functions - are
certainly in aptitude, but apt-cache has a dozen other subcommands and
I don't know whether aptitude implements those in some way.

> I'd been told that apt-get was deprecated in favor of aptitude and
> I'd seen that aptitude did not seem to have equivalents for the
> apt-cache commands.

Deprecating /usr/bin/apt-get is not the same as deprecating the whole
apt package, including /usr/bin/apt-cache.  If anyone said the entire
apt package was deprecated, I think they were misinformed.