Re: aptitude has Priority: standard, why?

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015, at 05:14, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
>> I am curious why the aptitude package still has Priority: standard, i.e.
>> why it is installed next to apt in each and every Debian installation?
>>
>> Aptitude isn't recommended for dist-upgrading since Lenny, I think.
>>
>> Do we really need to have two CLI package management tools installed, is
>> this reasonable?
>
> Well, aptitude IS the CLI package manager.  As far as I know, it is also the most complete and advanced package manager Debian has.  Make no mistake: aptitude is the Debian package manager you should be using if you can deal with text mode and the command line.

My main problem with Aptitude is that it currently has a lot of bugs
and does not follow some Apt policy and instead rolls its own, for
example see bug #683099, which I consider really important to resolve.
Currently, there seems to be some trouble in the Aptitude development
team, and to be fair, I can't really blame a small team of volunteers
for bugs (which are even tagged "help" now...).
But with the new "apt" tool available in Jessie, I think it is sound
to raise the question whether we need apt, aptitude and apt-* all in
the standard set, and if there is a recommendation which tool should
be used by default (or if there should be none at all).

IMHO the "apt" tool is already close to optimal, although I am missing
a few features at time (which will probably be added later).
Cheers,
    Matthias