Re: CUT rolling release debian BUT a cautionary comment

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 03:26:32PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> you should have at least two computers running Debian, and be able to
> spend a few hours or days with one of them non-functional, for the
> following reason:

Or, use btrfs.  Put your / onto a subvolume named sys-current, and have the
following cronjob:
# btrfs subv snap sys-current backups/sys-`date +%Y-%m-%d`

Whenever shit happens, such as, say, an upload of xorg that takes two weeks
for nvidia drivers to get back into a functional state, you do:
# mv sys-current sys-broken && btrfs subv snap backups/sys-2015-03-07 sys-current
then reboot[1].  Even if things broke so bad you can't boot, simply edit the
grub entry to include subvol=backups/sys-2015-03-07 on the kernel's
commandline and you're set.

Such a scheme makes using unstable so much nicer that I wonder why it's not
an option in the d-i.  Perhaps we should discuss it[2] and implement it
post-jessie?

[1]. Can't delete the bad version immediately as you're using it currently.

[2]. Besides separate /home (duh), you'll want to reduce the size of backups
by separating out /var/cache, make sure noatime is set, etc.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple