Re: CUT rolling release debian

On 03/06/2015 06:12 AM, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:
Hello,

I was exited when I heard couple of years ago about rolling release debian
- CUT.
But there are not news on this topic anywhere ... is this idea still living?

This isn't a direct answer to your question about CUT, but might be of some help.
I've been using Debian testing as a kind of rolling release since Lenny on my four most important systems

That's what I am happily doing already couple of years ;)

Point of view of debian maintainer ;)
I am DM and I am caring about +/- 100 small packages ... during a freeze time I shouldn't upload new upstream releases to unstable.
And as DM I can't upload to experimental.
So there is waiting quite a lot of work for me when new debian is released.
Situation is even worse if your new version of package depends on new upstream version of package maintained by somebody else ...
Everybody doing the same ... holding new releases.

From time to time (in freeze time) I am getting emails from upstreams if I am still maintaining their package ... because they released month ago and I still didn't update.
Sometimes in freeze time I am getting  emails from Ubuntu users which wants to have new upstream version in upcoming Ubuntu release.
And I sometimes hear opinion from upstreams (but not only them) that debian shipping old releases and is slow on updating and thus not best for users which needs fresh upstream releases.

So that's why I think CUT - rolling release debian would be great improvement for "certain users" probably desktop users and maintainers too.

best regards

mira