Re: building packages of upstream commits with Jenkins

My recent job involves working with Jenkins, these days.

On 02/26/2015 02:08 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> In the past I've encountered two types of problem:
>
> a) upstream makes some change (e.g. leaving some new header out of their
> distribution tarball) or something else that is only discovered after
> they release a new version

This would still be the same. If a build dependency is not added, your
package would fail to build. And I think this step should be left as is,
and should require human intervention.

> b) something else changes in unstable (e.g. somebody uploaded a new
> version of a reSIProcate dependency just a few days before I made a
> reSIProcate release, this would have been a much easier thing to deal
> with before I made the upstream tag)

 I guess this is where it fits the most. In Debian Sid, everything is a
moving piece. With Jenkins, it'd help a lot

> and I feel that making regular Jenkins builds of the packages,
> possibly for every upstream commit and every dependency change in
> unstable, would help detect problems sooner and usually at a point in
> time when it is easier to resolve them.

In my opinion, that is an overkill. You may instead want to track any
point releases (including aplhas, betas and RCs).