Re: conflicts between Debian's and upstream's Debian package

Hi Harald,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 09:04:56AM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> I would like to use upstream's Debian/Ubuntu packages for a
> certain tool 'foo'. Its closer to what I need, and I don't
> have migrate between both versions before asking the mailing
> list for help or for reporting/fixing problems.

It would be more helpful if you would resolve the placeholder foo by the
real package name.

> Problem: The Debian maintainer messed up the version numbers
> and had to introduce a "1:" for his foo package. Now upstream's
> package always appears to be out of date, forcing me to override
> apt-get.
>
> If upstream's Debian package of a tool is "not good enough"
> for Debian for some reason, wouldn't it be reasonable to avoid
> a naming conflict on creating the Debian package?

I have no idea why you concluded that the Debian package exists since
upstream is "not good enough".  Usually it is better to include a Debian
package into official Debian since you are profitting from several QA
means which is not the case for random external repositories.  My advise
would be to specify what *exactly* motivates you to use the upstream
packaged version in a bug report and work together with the maintainer
to make the official package also fit for your application.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de