Re: how to remove libsystemd0 from a live-running debian desktop system

On 02/17/2015 07:36 PM, josh@joshtriplett.org wrote:
> I'm all out of patience now, and I no longer have any hope that you
> actually care about being taken seriously.  I have no plans to respond
> to any future mails from you.

Hey Josh,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I'm a user*, and I respect Luke's premise. I think we all do, honestly.

It's not choice for choice's sake, it's choice for the user's sake; there are users actively requesting (and using!) these features. I don't know about libpam/etc. alternatives, but I imagine some of those don't exist due to licensing reasons or lack of user request. I'm not sure; I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually similar to the case here.

I agree with the arguments about libsystemd0 as well (that it's not a valid concern). At some point we all have to stop debating and play ball and get things done. That tends to mean that the doers are also the sayers; that's just the way it works. Debian does a great job of swaying that balance toward the user, and I expect and hope it will continue to do so. I don't agree with the boycotts, the forks in that vein tend to only detract. I guess the boycotters aren't also in favor of choice? Some strange intersection of groups coming out on the mailing lists these days...

Anyway, sorry for testing your patience, and thanks for your input. I have some more reading to do it seems.

--
Nate

* a user that wishes he contributed more; I try to support the bugs I create in the form of code, but usually the bugs I create involve systems that are far too complex for the uninitiated to begin to help with, especially if they can't sink in for the long haul.