Re: How to type ellipsis on Linux keyboard

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 12.02.2015, 15:22 +0100 schrieb Jakub Wilk:
>> * Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>, 2015-02-12, 12:54:
>> >I have¹ the following in my ~/.profile:
>> >
>> >  setxkbmap dk -option compose:menu
>>
>> You might want to enable it globally in /etc/default/keyboard instead.
>> Documentation: https://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/configure-input.html#_basic_keyboard_configuration
>
> btw, do you know what’s the modern equivalent to having lines like
> keycode  53 = x X leftdoublequotemark leftsinglequotemark leftdoublequotemark leftsinglequotemark
> in my ~/.Xmodmap, and loading that using xmodmap? I heard that that is
> deprected and there is a proper way, but never manged to figure out how
> exactly that would go?

I believe these days you're supposed to use XKB, which is notorious for
its flexibility and extreme lack of documentation.

Here's an example:

,----
| partial
| default
| alphanumeric_keys
| modifier_keys
| xkb_symbols "basic" {
|
|     include "us"
|     include "compose(paus)"
|     include "level3(caps_switch)"
|
|     name[Group1]= "USA (Niko)";
|
|     // Add additional parentheses to home row
|     key <AC06> { [          h,  H, braceleft               ]       };
|     key <AC07> { [          j,  J, parenleft               ]       };
|     key <AC08> { [          k,  K, parenright              ]       };
|     key <AC09> { [          l,  L, braceright              ]       };
|
|     // Add additional dead prefix
|     key <AC11> { [      apostrophe,  quotedbl, dead_iota      ]       };
|
|     // Add dead symbols to tilde
|     key <TLDE> { [       grave, asciitilde, dead_grave, dead_tilde      ] };
|
|     // Additional Numlocks
|     key <K59>  {  [ equal ] };
|     key <I76>  {  [ parenleft ] };
|     key <I7B>  {  [ parenright ] };
| };
`----

if you copy that into /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/mylayout, you can
enable it with "setxkbmap -layout mylayout".

I still haven't found a way to avoid copying this to /usr :-(.

Best,
-Nikolaus