Re: motd handling in jessie

Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:

> That looks really promising.  What would it take to get the default
> /etc/issue changed to include all the necessary information to make the
> current dynamic motd obsolete?

ssh support for /etc/issue escapes, which seems incredibly unlikely.  I
certainly wouldn't want to add that to ssh were I the ssh maintainers.

> Note that if we care about ssh logins showing the same message, we could
> easily enough start using pam_issue, in place of or in addition to the
> current pam_motd.

If people really want to use PAM to do fancy, dynamic stuff with the MOTD,
more power to them, but let's please not use a solution with this high of
complexity by default.  Nearly all normal uses of MOTD are served just
fine with some scripts that run at boot and generate a static file, which
can then be displayed directly in sshd with PrintMotd (which is the
upstream default).