Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond
On 01/22/2015 04:34 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
> I'm also no longer convinced, that running a huge shell machinery (as
> root) during login via PAM is a good idea.
> If we go the update-motd route, I'd like to see the update-motd calls be
> removed from login (and boot) and instead have the dynamic part of
> /etc/motd be updated via a cron job.
One could also have a bus- or socket-activated service to update the
motd on demand. The PAM module could then query it.
- the update process could run as an unprivileged user
- no updates if not needed (unlike a cron-based service)
- the service could implement a minimum time between updates
- no races between two processes updating the motd unless the update
service is implemented in a very suboptimal way
- as the update service can just exit and will be restarted
automatically, there are no useless processes around either
If the service is not installed (a good default?), just use a static motd.