Re: motd handling in jessie & beyond

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 07:08:22PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 04:20:36PM +0200, Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> > c) base-files shipping /etc/update-motd.d, plus a script:
> >    00-uname: #!/bin/sh\nuname -snrvm\n
>
> Could you please choose another package? debianutils comes to mind.
> Currently, base-files has no binaries at all, and I'd like to keep
> it that way.

What is your concern with shipping a simple executable shell script?

base-files was suggested because it's the package that currently ships
our default static motd text.  While I don't personally have a
preference on the place that uname call should be (if anywhere!), I do
think that keeping all of Debian's motd default contents -whether a
static blob of text or dynamic scripts- in one place would make the most
sense.

Faidon