Re: successful upgrade to jessie - thanks!

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:09:19 +0100, Matthias Urlichs
<matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber:
>> Which significantly changes things in Jessie since the majory of
>> services is still started via the old rcX.d mechanism, and thus
>> starting to runlevels behaves completely different from what users
>> expect.
>>
>Well, I wouldn't expect runlevel 2 to start a graphical desktop either.
>But it does; my /etc/inittab states that "2" is the default runlevel
>and an unmodified /etc/init.d/gdm3 contains
>
># Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
>
>So, sorry, but the default behavior is already broken for a whole lot of
>users – who simply fail to notice. There is _no_way_ I can boot my desktops
>to a sane multi-user state (i.e. no X11 or *dm, if one of these decides to
>act up and wedge the system) without jumping through hoops, and there has
>not been one for ages.

I have my runlevel 3 configured to not start kdm for ages, for exactly
the reason that there might be situations where one wants to debug
issues that survice when starting up X.

It was unexpected to have this taken away from me when my system was
upgraded to systemd.

>At least systemd's named targets actually mean something.

Which makes the surprise even worse when the symbolic name does not
match the exact behavior.

>> This is bad.
>
>Please consider that Fedora has changed their init system twice, so far.
>Their world did not end when they did that, so please don't assume that
>it will when we switch.

I didn't. We even survived the libc5 => glibc move, and that was much
less painful than what our users are facing once we have pushed the
prematurely frozen jessie out of the door.

Greetings
Marc