Re: on reloading services from logrotate

Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> writes:

> There is a fourth one that restarts/reloads services: logrotate

> Please excuse a little excursion into the inhomogeneity of signalling
> services from logrotate. I did a little bit of research and came up
> with the following numbers (sid i386+all main):

>  -> 360 packages shipping logrotate files
>     -> 192 with scripts (e.g. reloading a daemon)
>        -> 64 using invoke-rc.d
>        -> 34 invoking /etc/init.d/something directly
>        -> 24 killing via pidifle
>        -> 13 using killall (I couldn't believe it at first)
>        -> 7 using start-stop-daemon (the policy has an example)
>        -> 6 using the service wrapper mentioned above
>        (some overlaps:
>         e.g. "[ -x /etc/init.d/foo ] && service foo reload")

We had a discussion on the Policy team about this a while back, and I
think our consensus was that everything in Debian, like logrotate and cron
jobs and so forth, should use invoke-rc.d.  But I think there were some
caveats to that, and I don't remember the full context.  I suspect it's a
buried unresolved Policy bug.

Hm.

My brain is trying to surface some observation about how using a signal on
the PID was safer in some situations than using invoke-rc.d.  Maybe in
cases where the daemon is running but policy.d says it shouldn't be?