Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:35:45AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Nov 14, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > This is just a proof that storing the patches as real commits is useful.
> > And that's the point of the patch-queue tag. Instead of having the patches
> > only as real commits in the local repository, they get pushed to the
> > public repository too under that tag (instead of appearing only within
> > debian/patches/).

> In principle I agree, but in practice this must support perfect
> roundtrips preserving all comments and metadata in the patches and gbp
> is still a long way from supporting this.

gbp-pq currently is not meant for a perfect round trip but rather for:
import once and use what "git-format-patch" puts out from there
on. I agree that this doesn't help much with e.g. NMUs so we should
probably improve on that part.
Cheers,
 -- Guido