Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi,

Jonathan Dowland:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 01:13:39AM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > Please discourage the use of pristine-tar. The format is fragile and can
> > suffer from bit rot.
>
> I am not personally interested in pristine-tar, but I don't think this is the
> right place to take a stance on its use.

Then we should either remove the paragraph entirely, or at least mention
the danger of bit rot and that it's unwise to rely on being able to recover
the tarfile (long term).

Jonathan Dowland:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 03:38:59PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Personally I wouldn't use anything other than debian-only repos, at
> > least for those where I have a choice. I also actively avoid
> > contributing to packages that don't use such repos.
>
> And I'm the exact opposite.

FWIW: Me too. Debian-only is, to me, quite annoying, and a remnant of a
workflow that was once a necessity (with CVS/SVN). Not so with git.
--
-- Matthias Urlichs