Re: Should fast-evolving packages be backports-only?

On 2014-11-11 15:30, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> However, candidate packages due to reason (c) above really are a problem,
> IMHO they shouldn't be in stable in the first place.

Does this mean that I should ask for the removal of youtube-dl from testing?

It will certainly bitrot in a stable release, as it supports downloading
from many sites, the target sites are moving too fast (that's the nature
of the web) and there's no chance that I will be hunting minimal patches
to fix breakage of multiple sites, as upstream generally refactors the
whole thing constantly and as multiple sites may get broken, the pile of
patches would sometimes be larger than the code to extract data from
some simpler sites.

I am, though, very happy to upload newer upstream versions.

Cheers,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito