Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Please discourage the use of pristine-tar. The format is fragile and can
> > suffer from bit rot.
>
> I strongly disagree with this advice.  pristine-tar is hugely helpful, and
> is something we should continue to support, advocate, maintain, and use.

Unfortunately it is so broken, that too often orig tarballs cannot
be recreated. Especially with pristinetar data generated in a stable
system one is often lost.

I used pristinetar for years, and now try to move away from it,
as it turned out to be too unstable, and too dependent on tar's
internalities.

But I agree, that the *idea* of pristinetar is great, only that it
does not work as it is now.

Norbert

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13