Re: Let's abandon debian-devel.

+++ Charles Plessy [2014-11-10 23:25 +0900]:
> Hi all,
>
> >From now on I will try to see if I can give to Debian the same quality of
> contribution without being subscribed to debian-devel.  And I invite you to
> think about it and *not* to discuss it on this list.

Just a data-point:

I joined d-devel when I joined debian. It was noisy and after a while
I unsubscribed. And it stayed that way for several years. I did my
stuff in my little corner and that worked, but I had almost no idea
what was going in in Debian generally and was often surprised by events/changes.

At some point I tried joining up again and have since become much more
involved, at least partly due to having some feel for what is
currently going on.

So -devel is noisy and sometimes unhelpful, but at least for me being
subscribed is definitely more useful than not being subscribed.

Possibly the same effect could be achieved by joining -project. I've
never tried that...

So if your purpose is just to work on your packages, then yes ignore
-devel - you will get a quieter life. But it does disconnect you
noticeably. Perhaps that is less true than it was, as there are more
alternatives (such as planet).

Just some (anecdotal) data.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/