Re: Packages using old dpkg tools paths

Hi!

On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 22:20:48 +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2014-11-03 11:23, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I'm planning on starting to file bug reports for the source packages
> > below (BCCed). I've not checked (yet) how severe the dpkg-statoverride
> > ones are, but if most of them do not get fixed, I might consider
> > reintroducing the compat symlink for that one alone if the release-team
> > (CCed) sees fit to that. :/
>
> Could you please re-instate all the compat symlinks for Jessie?  Besides
> the package listed, we are also concerned about the upgrade path from
> Wheezy.

I just did a bit more digging, and the compat symlinks have been
present since dpkg 1.15.0 (squeeze). I removed them in 1.17.0 because
the lintian check (which I've found now :), reported no more callers:

<https://lintian.debian.org/tags/command-with-path-in-maintainer-script.html>

but it seems that is not exhaustive. So we cannot really know how many
packages where affected in wheezy, w/o a full archive scan. :( At least
now we have an exhaustive list, which I could make dpkg Breaks/Conflicts
with in 1.18.x.

So, yes, given the above, I'll reinstate the compat symlinks for dpkg
1.17.22. It would be nice though, if as many of the fixes for the
remaining callers could be accepted for jessie, if possible?

Thanks,
Guillem