Re: Time for a new kernel?

Jeremy, le Mon 03 Nov 2014 09:03:25 -0500, a écrit :
> if only the kernel were replaced, the rest would still work as we al
> like it to.  (This is evident with Debian GNU Hurd & kFreeBSD projects).

It's not so easy :)

> We all hear everyone say "The code is open for anyone to look for
> exploits" but DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY DO IT?  Or does everyone think
> someone else is going to do it, so they don't worry about?

You'll end up with contradictory issues: having driver support and
having people look at the code. The non-driver parts of the kernel are
quite well looked at.  Drivers, much less.  Research has shown that
it's there that most bugs lie.  And taking another kernel won't really
change that issue (if the other kernel is actually at all shipping other
drivers than just picking up Linux').

Samuel