Re: Arch-dependent files in /usr/share

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 01:09:02PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> files there.  No one is ever going to bother to move the files in, say,
q>> LibreOffice into /usr/share, since the theoretical gain totally isn't
>> worth the effort in maintaining the package.

> Actually I have various hacks in LibreOffice packaging doing exactly this.

> (Admittedly not all, and that "rest" is would be the most painful one.)

Ah, I'd only noticed the remaining ones and hadn't realized all the work
you were already doing.  Sorry about that!

But the broader point is that if we stopped requiring this distinction,
you could unwind those hacks as well.  My guess is that would make
maintaining the packages easier and would be preferrable from your
perspective, although please do correct me if I'm wrong about that.