Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

]] Marc Haber

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 15:56:23 +0200, Matthias Urlichs
> <matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
> >Marc Haber:

> >> #618862, dating back to 2011 and with no Debian maintainer reaction in
> >> months?
> >>
> >This bug's latest entry asks the original reporter whether the bug still
> >applies.
>
> The long, anonymous elaborate does not address the actual issue. And,
> it's clear that - should the anonymous poster be correct - keyscript
> is only supported for the root file system, not for any other fsses
> that might get mounted later.

It works for anything that's mounted from the initramfs, not just the
root file system, in addition to anything mounted by hand later, but
otherwise that's correct.

> >The systemd transition is not simple. I do not think it's reasonable to
> >expect the Debian maintainer to be able to reproduce every problem, so what
> >else would you have them do about this bug?
>
> I would expect at least a try to keep something supported that has
> been supported in Debian für years. This is a serious regression that
> makes systems unbootable and up to now the only fix seems to be to
> reduce security by resorting to keys typed in at boot time.

You make the assumption that there's not been an tries to resolve this,
which is wrong.  As for security, well, I have a keyscript that unlocks
my boot drive just fine, but handled through initramfs, not systemd.

--
Tollef Fog Heen