Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Sun, Sep 07 2014, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On September 6, 2014 11:30:11 PM EDT, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> I'll confess up front that I'm a neophyte when it comes to git.  From
> what I can tell though we've been using git-dpm for feature branches
> in pkg-clamav and it seems to me to work fine.

        Oh, it works mostly fine, with some finicky handling of the
 ephemeral patched branch. I must worry about checking out the patched
 branch, sherry picking commits to it, handling conflicts, rebasing,
 squashing, rearranging -- and I did all that for a while before I
 discovered git-debcherry, It got old fast. Perhaps it is my fault, my
 feature branches sometimes have slightly overlapping changes. I never
 ever want to muck with something merely to create serialized linear
 patches for packaging.

        With git-debcherry I ignore ./debian/patches and ever needing to
 worry about what lives in it. I work with pure git feature branches,
 say:
  gitpkg-build HEAD upstream

        and I am done. It creates the ./debian/patches directory while
 checking out the source, knows about pristine-tar, creates the source
 package, ssh's into my build virt (starting it as needed), builds it,
 runs lintian and piuparts checks, and stuff is there for me to install,
 test, sign, and upload. All the tags are done for me.

        No twiddling with stuff for 3.0 (quilt). I am too lazy to ever
 want to deal with it.

> I'd be curious what you'd find if you had a look at the team
> repository for clamav to see if what we're doing matches your concept
> of feature branches?

        I'll have a look once I get back in town.

        manoj
--
The Golden Rule of Arts and Sciences: He who has the gold makes the
rules.