Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 13:52 -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > No, that's not the true package relationship.  There's no reason that
> > you should always get this added service by default when you install
> > a system with non-systemd init that doesn't need logind.  Making this
> > a recommends would be a workaround for bad metadata in the
> > libpam-systemd package; we should fix that problem at its source the
> > right way.
>
> I filed bug #746578 against libpam-systemd back in May; I believe the
> proposed change (depend on systemd-shim | systemd-sysv rather than the
> other way around) addresses most if not all of this class of issues.  It
> is currently WONTFIXed.
[...]

It's a bit counter-intuitive to have the default init system second, but
now that I think about it, I can see that it will do the right thing on
a jessie installation.

Upgrades from wheezy are the problem.  Currently, upgrading sysvinit
should result in installing init and, unless upstart or sysvinit-core is
already installed, systemd-sysv.  But if sysvinit and some rdep of
libpam-systemd are upgraded at the same time, and the order of
libpam-systemd's dependencies is switched, APT (or other package
manager) might consider it preferable to install sysvinit-core and
systemd-shim.  Has this been tested?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.