Re: Transition handling in Debian (was: systemd, again)

Hi,

Daniel Leidert:
> Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>
> >In any case, IMHO a system that's been installed with wheezy, and
> >then upgraded to jessie, should be identical to a system installed with
> >jessie in the first place.
>
> That is nothing but wrong. [...]
> Your argument is only reasonable for a plain standard system, which a user
> did not alter.

Did I say "modified by the local sysadmin" in the above sentence? No.

> However, this is *well* less then 1 percent of all systems?

Probably. So? We're talking about init systems. I daresay that the vast
majority of Debian systems out there do not have any locally-modified
scripts in /etc/init.d, which is about the only change that might be
ignored when you switch to systemd (depending on whether the package in
question now contains a systemd unit file).

> The discussion e.g. about switching between default desktop environments has AFAIK
> NOT come to the conclusion, that we begin to touch the users system and change
> his/hers decision of which DE to use.

I don't recall anybody advocating this, so I don't quite understand what
your problem is.

> If the project decides to transition the default init system, that has to be
> expected, yes, like it was with apache1.4->2.0, many library transitions ...

AFAICT the systemd transition will be seamless and transparent for most
users. Most major upgrades of nontrivial packages (Apache1>2 is a good
example) are much more painful.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs