calling maintainer scripts with a clean environment?

Hi,

after reading #759590, I think it is time to consider calling maintainer
scripts in a (slightly) cleaned environment.

Short background: there is a bug in eatmydata (#702711) which currently
breaks gnutls28 using apps in sid (the mentioned #759590).

That wouldn't be too bad (noone runs their production servers with
eatmydata), if the eatmydata LD_PRELOAD would not leak into running
services because they are (re)started from maintainer-scripts which get
the environment from the running apt.

There is an old, wont-fix bug in dpkg about this: #18567, the
corresponding discussion on -devel [1] agreed, that overriding $PATH is
an useful argument against just cleaning the whole environment and
hardcoding $PATH to something general. Yet I think there are vars I'd
like not to have inside my running services and also not during other
tasks inside of maintainer-scripts. I think systemd already does this,
but I'd love a more generic solution for the "problem".

Thoughts, solutions, pitchforks?
Evgeni

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/10/msg00941.html

--
Bruce Schneier can read and understand Perl programs.