Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:13:17 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila@kinali.ch> wrote:

> Well, if you believe in lies, then of course your view of the world
> will darken. But i hope that this email clears things up.

If I am spreading falsehoods then I apologize.  The ffmpeg/libav split
broke a video sharing site that I built for a client.  Fixing it
resulted in many hours of unbillable labor.   That's my main
relationship to problem and reason for complaining.

When this happened I scoured the net, including mailing lists from both
projects to try and figure out what had happened.  The overwhelming
evidence based on mailing list posts, blog posts, forum discussions and
pretty much everywhere else I could look all led me to the overwhelming
conclusion of what I stated before. This is the only time I've ever
seen anything to the contrary stated and I looked good and hard for
another side of the story, as have many other people.

I still don't know who is in the right, but at least you've put an end
to the weirdness where only one side of the story existed on the net
and there was just conspicuous silence on the other.

On a semi unrelated note:

I'm pretty sure it's not my place to ask this, but shouldn't Sam Hocevar
weigh in on this issues?  As former ffmpeg maintainer and DPL it seems
like he'd be uniquely qualified speak on what's in the best interest of