Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 06:28:51PM +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> I don't know mythtv, but if it's just a digital video recorder, there's
> no significant risk ever needing security updates. A local, forked copy
> is problematic for a video player since someone may open a malformed video
> file, but malformed DVB streams are a different ballpark. Please contact
> us at team@security.debian.org so that we sort that out.

A stream from a TV tuner should be considered just as suspect as one
from a shady video download website.  see e.g.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Broadcast_Broadband_TV#Security_Concerns
for just one problem that arises when you assume that an adversary is
willing to aim a low-power broadcast at your antenna.

Jeff