Re: Why are the gcc-*-base packages priority:required?

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> (2014-08-08):

> Potentially stupid question --- why are the gcc-4.[789]-base packages
> have the priority required?  And what are they used for?
>
> I'm fine-tuning a small kvm appliance (kvm-xfstests, as it happens), and
> I'm trying to keep the root file system as small as possible.  It
> appears that I can dpkg --purge the gcc-4.[789]-base packages with no
> ill effects.
>
> Am I missing something subtle that will come back and bite me?

I'd suggest having a quick look at some gcc changelog, e.g. 4.7:
  http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/gcc-4.7/unstable_changelog

linked from:
  https://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gcc-4.7.html

You can see things like:
|     - Set priority of gcc-4.0-base and libstdc++6 packages to `required'.
|       Closes: #321016.

but also, way later:
|   * libstdc++6: Lower priority from required to important. Closes: #661118.

I'd therefore contact the relevant maintainers to make sure, probably
through a bug report asking for a priority downgrade.

Mraw,
KiBi.