Re: apache2 issues

At Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:29:46 +1000,
Brian May wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2014 16:44, "Wouter Verhelst" <w@uter.be> wrote:
> > No, I don't.
> >
> > What brian really wants is apache2 or apache2-bin. In the case of
> > apache2-bin, he needs an additional dependency on libapache2-mod-wsgi.
> >
> > Really, it should be
> >
> > apache2 | libapache2-mod-wsgi, apache2 | apache2-bin
> >
> > to do so.
>
> Not sure I see how this is any better than just:
>
> libapache2-mod-wsgi, apache2
>
> (Which is what lintian warned me against using)
>
> Installing libapache2-mod-wsgi and apache2-bin without apache2 is insufficient, for Apache support to work, I need /usr/share/apache2/apache2-maintscript-helper which requires apache2 to be installed. So
> we can replace that 2nd term with just apache2.

As far as I can see this is a bug in the apache2 packaging. The httpd
virtual package should be provided by the apache2 package, not the
apache2-bin package, because the apache2-bin package doesn't provide a
working webserver. Bug report I just filed about this:

> Similarly, installing apache2 without libapache2-mod-wsgi would meet your depends but not really be satisfactory.
>
> Either way, it sounds like I should be ignoring Lintian.

No, lintian is correct and should not be ignored. Depending on only
apache2 makes it hard to run other webservers.

There is a also httpd-wsgi virtual package:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/httpd-wsgi

A policy bug about what httpd-wsgi should provide is still open however:

It isn't very easy to specify what httpd-wsgi should mean, because
some WSGI servers are full webservers with WSGI support such as apache
and others like gunicorn are only supposed to run behind a proxying
server such as apache or nginx (similar to for example php-fpm).

So as far as I can see, the correct dependency should be:

Depends: libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-wsgi, apache2 | httpd

So it also possible to run other webservers.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers