Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

bofh80 dixit:

>"apt-get --purge dist-upgrade"
> How does this now translate to over the new apt full-upgrade?

I do not use “the new apt ” anything command. It is purely optional,
and you can use apt-cache and apt-get as you are used to.

>"apt-get --purge dist-upgrade --auto-remove pkgtoinstall pkgtoremove-"
>Could you give me an example of this? assuming that pkgtoinstall and
>pkgtoremove are place markers for actual package names?

Yes.

Something like this:

“apt-get --purge dist-upgrade pinentry-curses pinentry-gtk2- xulrunner-17.0-”

This means: do a dist-upgrade, but purge pinentry-gtk2 and install
pinentry-curses during it (like "first" but better, dependency-wise)
and do not even bothering upgrading xulrunner-17.0 since I no longer
need it anyway.

>and also is the - at the end intentional? (i might be wrong about the
>markers, i'm not sure, hence the question)

The hyphen-minus at the end means “remove, not install, this package”.
It also works like “apt-get install foo bar- baz bla-”.

>nb. i sent this directly to you rather than the list because i wasn't sure
>if it was offtopic, feel free to mail it back to the list.

List works for me…

>On 14 July 2014 09:53, Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> wrote:

http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren/ please don’t top-post
or full-quote.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
> Wish I had pine to hand :-( I'll give lynx a try, thanks.

Michael Schmitz on nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k
a.k.a. {news.gmane.org/nntp}#news.gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k in pine