Re: m68k too slow for https? Re: people.debian.org will move from ravel to paradis and become HTTPS only

h01ger wrote:
>On Sonntag, 13. Juli 2014, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> >Furthermore, we will change the people.debian.org web-service such that
>> >only HTTPS connections will be supported (unencrypted requests will be
>> >redirected).
>> This means that requests from wget (since it switched from OpenSSL to
>> GnuTLS) and other utilities from slow architectures (such as m68k or
>> avr32) to people.d.o will timeout.
>
>am I getting this right, that there are architectures which are too slow to
>use https??? if so: "wow"...

No, this is only with some implementations. What differs, I do not
knowâ?¦ maybe offered algorithms, or use of thread-local storage (which
has syscall penalty on arches without a spare register, such as x86â??s
GS segment register, to use).
When wget was switched from OpenSSL to GnuTLS (which I still consider
a huge mistake) it no longer worked with most servers. (I have not
checked whether this is still the case; I think there was a change
in src:gnutls26 partially mitigating it later, and I didnâ??t look
at src:gnutls28 at all yet.)

But then: yes, some systems are too slow for SSL with some other
systemsâ?¦ for example, my home server (x86) does not connect with
servers using 5120R or larger keys, 4096R is fine though (even
with m68k).

bye,
//mirabilos