Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

Hey there.

On 07/13/2014 08:36 AM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> On Sonntag, 13. Juli 2014, Arno Töll wrote:
>> * Ignore the problem, and refer to the manpage of aptitude without
>> proper fix etc. which clearly says "THIS OPTION CAN CAUSE DATA LOSS! DO
>> NOT USE IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING".
> seems right to me, given the alternatives you describe.
>
> I've never used "upgrade --purge" _in one step_ and I don't think it's a
> particularily smart idea at all. But if people want to shoot themselves in the
> feet, we should tell them that it might hurt, but then... let them.
>
> Same for not reading release notes, if someone wants to act stupid... ;-)
I agree in every single aspect with Holger.

An "upgrade --purge" sounds to me like: "Upgrade and start with fresh
configuration".
I usually proceed with "dist-upgrade", then "autoremove --purge" to keep
things neat.

Again, should a release note poping up right in front of your eyes be
ignored, there's
not much to prevent you from damaging your system if you don't really
care about it.

Not really trying to act rude here (and I'm sorry if it seems so, just
can't figure out
another way to put it simple), but package management systems are, IMHO,
intended
to facilitate the access and installation of packages which are part of
the distro/release
while preventing us from facing dependancy-hell-like situations, they're
not intended
to be fool-proof, as it requires administrative privileges, therefore
expecting that you
*really* know what you're doing.

Cheers,
Fabiano.