Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

Hi Jeroen,

On 13.07.2014 15:09, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> It's not really ideal either, but another option would be doing an
> update in the next wheezy point release preparing this migration. For
> example moving the configuration files from apache2.2-common to
> apache2 or apache2.2-bin in wheezy shouldn't cause any problem and
> after the files have been moved apache2.2-common can be safely purged
> during upgrade.

thanks for bringing this up. We had discussed this a while back, but I
forgot to list it in the provided alternative choices.

> Moving them to apache2 package would mean you won't have to move them
> again in the upgrade to apache 2.4, but it would create a new and
> circular dependency of apache2.2-common on apache2. Given that
> apache2.2-common already depends on apache2.2-bin and there exists a
> transitional package in jessie it might be a better candidate. Then
> you would have to move it again in the jessie package, but I'm afraid
> there aren't any easy solutions.

Pretending the Release Team would allow us to do that (Frankly, I
wouldn't dare to ask :p) thee are two caveats with that approach that
would make it very hard and complicated because our historic heritage
dating back to Etch days again.

It's well possible, that people have apache2.2-common installed, but not
apache2. In Wheezy and earlier "apache2" is very much an empty pseudo
package nothing depends on. Unless the user did "apt-get install
apache2" they won't end up with it as a dependency. This is commonly the
case if you did "apt-get install php5" for example.

We cannot move conffiles to apache2.2-bin either, because Gnome for
example depends on that package (don't ask) and it does it's own
configuration completely detached from Debian packaging and Debian
configuration. Therefore, people that don't use Apache on their own have
that package installed, too.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll