Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014, at 09:37, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 07/02/2014 12:09 AM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On Jul 01, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez@igalia.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think that a critical debconf warning should be in place to avoid
> >> replacing the init system of users without prior explicit consent.
> > I think that this would be an annoying waste of time for most users,
> > since only a few people care so much about not being tainted by systemd.
>
> I don't agree. Many people in this list voiced concerns about systemd,
> and don't want it installed on their systems.

Not many - just few and repetetively :(. There are also many people
who either don't care or just agree. You don't expect to have the '+1'
war to happen here, right?

> IMO, enough so that it'd be worth a quick warning.

Yes, we have a release notes for that. I guess you would be welcome
to help draft a text that needs to be put there instead of flaming here.

> Please don't take the average grand-mother who
> just had her first computer 3 days ago as an excuse to say newbies don't
> need to know. This does *not* work, and we don't do Debian only for
> those. There's also experts that are running Debian, and it'd be nice to
> tell them. *I* for example, would be happy to be warned about such a
> change, and wouldn't consider it a waste of time.

Yes, we have a release notes for that.

Thomas, just stop with this FUD. Your constant flaming is not helping
neither you, your cause nor Debian, and it's becoming tiresome. You
will not achieve anything more than a place in personal blacklists,
and that would be a shame, because your "non-systemd" contributions
are valuable.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>