Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 05:37:55PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 01.07.2014 17:20, schrieb Thomas Weber:
> > Or, taking a different perspective: now that the issue is known, what is
> > done to prevent another user from hitting the very same issue in the
> > future?

> Install systemd-sysv for systemd-shim.
> The libpam-systemd package in 204-9 ensures that either of the two is
> installed.

Ok, but assuming that is the fix (install systemd-sysv or systemd-shim), how
did bug #7533357 happen?  Notwithstanding Juliusz's desire to not have
systemd installed (which I don't expect us to address), if both of those
packages were missing from the system, then something is buggy.  Juliusz,
can you please paste your apt logs showing what pulled systemd in on the
system?

If something is depending on systemd directly without either systemd-sysv or
systemd-shim, that something is buggy.

If systemd-sysv *was* installed and logind wasn't working, this probably
points to the bug with logind being broken before reboot to systemd.

However, acpi-support-base also needs to make sure that logind is functional
before delegating control of the power button to it.  And for that, I see
that acpi-support 0.141-4 introduced a change in unstable *yesterday* to
deal with exactly this problem: instead of only checking for a running
logind, acpi-support-base now checks the systemd dbus interface to verify
that logind is running and usable.  So it's possible that Juliusz's issue is
a duplicate of bug #752781.

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 07:19:26PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 01.07.2014 18:53, schrieb Juliusz Chroboczek:
> > Michael closed it straight away,
> > without investigating the issue.

> Oh, I did. That's why I told you to install systemd-shim.

It should not be the user's responsibility to install this package manually
to get back to a working system.

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 06:51:22PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > Install systemd-sysv for systemd-shim.
> > The libpam-systemd package in 204-9 ensures that either of the two is
> > installed.

> The behaviour of acpi-support-base is correct, there shouldn't be any
> bug filed against it.

Well, I think the behavior of acpi-support-base is *now* correct in
unstable, in response to bug #752781.  I don't think it's correct in
testing.