Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

 ❦  1 juillet 2014 15:25 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> :

> A few days ago, after a routine upgrade from testing, the power button on
> my laptop ceased functioning.  I was busy at the time, so I lived with
> having to remember to type "sudo shutdown -h now" for a few days; yesterday,
> I finally took the time to debug the issue.
>
> I started with "strace -p $(pidof acpid)$", and it took me almost an hour
> to work it out.  It turns out that apt had helpfully installed systemd, so
> the powerbtn-acpi-support.sh script was detecting a running systemd-logind,
> and (reasonably enough) going on strike.

Not a systemd maintainer.

On your particular problem, you should look at why systemd didn't
initiate the shutdown when it detected you pressed the power button. I
don't know enough of how systemd fits in the power management stack in
Debian (and I miss such details), but I believe, you could modify
/etc/systemd/logind.conf and restart systemd-logind.

systemd being aimed at becoming the default init, it is natural that
various other packages do not step on its tasks by executing various
stuff. acpid is still useful outside those tasks as it allows to
transmit ACPI events as keyboard events (and I suppose other
things). Hence, we surely want it to continue to work with systemd.
--
 /* Identify the flock of penguins.  */
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/kernel/setup.c