Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:25:36PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A few days ago, after a routine upgrade from testing, the power button on
> my laptop ceased functioning.  I was busy at the time, so I lived with
> having to remember to type "sudo shutdown -h now" for a few days; yesterday,
> I finally took the time to debug the issue.
>
> I started with "strace -p $(pidof acpid)$", and it took me almost an hour
> to work it out.  It turns out that apt had helpfully installed systemd, so
> the powerbtn-acpi-support.sh script was detecting a running systemd-logind,
> and (reasonably enough) going on strike.

That sounds like a bug to me. Either in systemd-logind (if that was
supposed to have handled the power button event instead) or in acpid for
not telling systemd-logind about the event.

Hmm. I presume the intention is that logged in users are notified of the
impending shut down. Simply refusing to honour the power button because
of the presence of a process sounds like a nightmare to me.

> I was a little bit annoyed at that, so I filed bug 753357, which was
> immediately closed by Michael Biebl with the following advice:
>
>   > install systemd-shim

For the record, and despite its name, systemd-shim is not systemd. If
you read the description of the package, it becomes clearer:

  This package emulates the systemd function that are required to run
  the systemd helpers without using the init service

In other words, systemd-shim is a shim (a thin interfacing layer). You
place it between programs that expect to be able to use systemd and
another init system (sysv usually).

Consider it the reverse of systemd-sysv.