conflicts and multiarch

Hello,

when working on the next version of dose-distcheck we found a cornercase
where we are not sure about multiarch semantics. To explain the problem
at hand of an example: without mutiarch, we all know that a self-conflict
is ignored:

Package: a1
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1
Conflicts: virta
Provides: virta

Package a1 is clearly installable. Now, lets extend this to multiarch:

Package: a2
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1
Provides: virta
Conflicts: virta
Multi-Arch: same

Package: a2
Architecture: i386
Version: 1
Provides: virta
Conflicts: virta
Multi-Arch: same

Can package a2 be installed for both architectures at the same time? Policy
section 7.4 seems to indicate that yes, but then it was written without
multiarch in mind. What do you think should be the right answer?

-Ralf.