Re: default messaging/VoIP client for Debian 8/Jessie

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> I see the problem of all the bloat that comes with Java, but it is
> minor.  The main problem is still
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

> In particular

>> To reliably ensure your Java programs run fine in a free environment,
>> you need to develop them using IcedTea. Theoretically the Java
>> platforms should be compatible, but they are not compatible 100
>> percent.

We use Java relatively heavily at work, and I've got to say that this is
largely a thing of the past.  If you're developing against Java 7, and to
a large extent Java 6, you will be very hard-pressed to tell the
difference between OpenJDK and the Oracle Java implementation.

With Java 5 and earlier, this was indeed a problem, and a lot of things
wouldn't work unless you ran them with the Oracle Java.  But sometimes
software gets better.